FCAD Exchange server Mail and account Transfer to Ryerson Mail (RMAIL)
Posted by Bill Brishna, Last modified by Bill Brishna on 15 June 2011 09:19 PM
Dan’s E-mail Migration Tips & Suggestions for Outlook 2010:
- Back-up existing @fcad.ryerson.ca e-mail account:
- I would strongly suggest that in addition to backing-up to the individuals password protected computer hard drive, there be space allocated on a password protected server for temporarily storing the of the account so that in the event of a failure, we know there is a way to recover.
- Because of FIPPA – e-mails should not be moved to a disk or USB key (unless encrypted)
- To do back-up
- 1. Click on File (top left tab)
- 2. Select Options
- 3. Select Advanced
- 4. From right pane, scoll down and select” export”
- 5. From pop up window, select “Export to a file” and click next
- 6. Select “Outlook Data File (.pst) and click next
- 7. Highlight you @fcad.ryerson.ca “inbox”
- 8. Use “Browse” button to select a location on your hard drive to save the file
- Pick some place you will remember!
- 9. Click “Finish”
- FCAD Help will need to create new folders to make the back-up available within Outlook so the user can easily access. This will help encourage and reassure users when it comes to the next step.
- Before transferring folders to new inbox:
- After the back-up has been done, have the individual “clean-up” as much of their FCAD inbox(s) as possible. Highlight the fact that they can still access historical e-mails via their back-up.
- For those who still have greater than 1GB of e-mail after the clean-up, a request will need to be made by FCAD Help to add additional storage to the R-mail account
- Create new inbox within Outlook.
- This inbox is associated with the @ryerson.ca account.
- Transfer of folders from @fcad.ryerson.ca to @ryerson.ca
- The user should be informed that they will be moving folders from their FCAD Inbox to the “Mail” folder in their @ryerson inbox.
- To move the folder:
- highlight the folder you wish to move
- right click
- select “move folder”
- select the “mail” folder in your @ryerson inbox
- wait for the transfer to be complete
- check the folder to ensure the move was successful
- Setting @ryerson.ca inbox as default in Outlook
- Each time you open outlook, it will default to @fcad.ryerson.ca
- You will need to change this to default to @ryerson.ca
- Make sure you’ve highlighted your @ryerson.ca inbox
- Go to File (top left tab)
- Click Options
- Click Advanced
- 5. from right pane under Outlook start and exit group click Browse.
- 6. Click on your @ryerson.ca Inbox
- 7. Click OK
- 8. Restart Outlook – it will now default to your @ryerson Inbox.
- You will need to notify everyone to ensure they are using your @ryerson.ca e-mail address and not @fcad.ryerson.ca
- If you are IMAPing your e-mail to a BlackBerry, iPhone or other device, you will need to ensure the device is updated to get e-mail from your @ryerson.ca account.
- FCAD help will need to set-up the users @fcad.ryerson.ca account to forward e-mail to the @ryerson.ca account for a predetermined transitional period.